Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tuesday = Track Day...

Coaching middle school track this year has been difficult for me because our team consisted of some very athletic but emotional children.  We spent a day every week trying to get them on track, get them motivated, or get the to focus.  Don't get me wrong...we had some really good kids, but the majority either didn't care or weren't focused.  

I have always had a talented group of kids that understood that track was about what you put into it.  The harder you worked the better your meets were, and they almost always competed with each other.  They pushed each other to be better, and they compared their times every week to the best in the nation.  This year though, we didn't have that group.  

Coming up on the District Track meet this year, we gave them one last speech.  "This is it!  This is what you have worked for all season long!"  We had another mediocre practice, and I was beginning to worry that our district champion streak was about to end.  (We have been champions or runner ups for the past .... well, since I was in high school!)  

Tuesday came, we had practice that morning, and well....let's just say if that had been a sign of what was to come we were in BIG trouble!!!!  haha  We got all our kids out to the track that afternoon and started getting them where they needed to be.  Field events at 4:30 and Running at 6:30 pm.  Here we go...

Once the track meet started going there was no turning back now, and I tell you what...these kids have been listening all year.  I know I say this a lot, but this was "a God thing".  Things just clicked and we were off to a awesome start!!!  By the time running started we knew we were in the game.  It was so exciting to our girls come from 3rd to 1st in the final leg of the 4X1.  Our boys 4X2 came back to beat a team that was over 40 meters ahead to take first place, and our 4X4 girls DESTROY the competition!  At the end of the night, God reminded me why I do what I do.  That every year isn't going to be an easy year, but in the end it pays off.  Oh did I mention we got 1st in JV Boys and 1st in Varsity Girls?  :) 

I will say even if we didn't win, Tuesday made everything worth it.  To see the kids take what we had been saying all year, give it their all, break personal records, and cheer for each other was just enough for me.  It was AWESOME!!!  


Here are some of our track stars with their trophies!



2 Timothy 4:7  
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

And while I can say, my lesson learned is ... keep the faith....in all things.  There is a reason for everything.  Life isn't always going to be easy, but the end result is worth the trophies.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment ... I would love to hear from you! :)